History

From the very beginnings – to Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Oberdorfer – 1920 to 1970

The beginnings of the Institute of Electrical Power Systems go back to the opening of the “Chair of Electrical Engineering” at the University of Technology Graz in 1920. 1938 two more professorships have been added and in 1940 the “Chair of Electrical Power Systems and High Voltage Engineering” have been set into beeing. After the 2nd world war Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Günther Oberdorfer had been appointed dean of the “Chair of Construction and Operation of Electrical Power Systems” in 1947. Due to personnel resources “Starkstromtechnik” had been the only field to be studied in the 1950ies at the University of Technology Graz. A new curriculum (General university study law 1966 and Engineering-Study law 1969) enabled five groups of optional courses: “Construction and Operation of Electrical Power Systems” “Construction of Power Machines” “Communications Engineering and Electronics” “Electrical Medicine” “Basic Research in Power Engineering”.

Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Muckenhuber – 1973 to 1997

The era of Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Günther Oberdorfer, who had been the dean of the “Chair of Construction and Operation of Electrical Power Systems” between the postwar period and 1970 was followed by a short interim time that results in a seperation of the chair into three independent institutes. In 1972 Prof. Dr. Alfred Leschanz assumed the “Institute of High Voltage Engineering” including the experimental and research station for high voltage engineering, in spring 1973 Prof. Dr. Stefan Schuy assumed the “Institute of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering” and in autmn 1973 Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Richard Muckenhuber assumed the “Institute of COnstruction and Operation of Electrical Power Systems”. As for the subject of focus “Automatic Control Engineering” a seperat institute under the leadership of Prof. Schneider has been founded in 1973. Due to premises problems of the former institute of Prof. Oberdorfer at the second flor of the “Neue Technik” Kopernikusgasse the new buildings at the Inffeldgasse 18 could have been moved into in 1972 which had been initiated by Prof. Oberdorfer. This guaranteed a state of the art placement of the three institutes and the experimental station of high voltage engineering. Prof. Muckenhuber, who left the VERBUND Austrian Power Grid AG in Vienna, focused on the expansion of the laboratories and the institutes´ equipment for teaching and research at first. Plenty of his time he addressed to the conception and realisation of new teaching material. Especially a 50-Hz-AC-gridmodel Prof. Muckenhuber had been donated from the VERBUND must be mentioned. It was reconstructed totally functional and was used during practice lectures. In the course of the UOG 1975 the “Chair of Construction and Operation of Electrical Power Systems” has been renamed to “Institute of Electrical Power Systems”. Thanks to the successful activities of the employees it was able to work out a lot of interesting, topical subjects of research within dimploma thesis´, dissertations and promoted research projects as well as to gain national and international acknowledgment.

Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Fickert – since 1998

In 1997 Professor Muckenhuber was followed by Ao.Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Manfred Sakulin for an interim time of one year. In 1998 Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Lothar Fickert from the Vienna power authority became professor in ordinary of the “Institute of Electrical Power Systems”. In October 2000 the “Institute of Electrical Power Systems” and the “Institute of High Voltage Engineering” fused to a new big institute called “Institute of Electrical Power Systems and High Voltage Engineering”. At the same time the “Chair of Electricity Industry and Energy Innovation” has been founded and was assigned to the big institute which then consisted of the three departments “Electrical Power Systems”, “High Voltage Engineering” and “Electricity Industry and Energy Innovation”. This merging has been retracted in 2004 since then the “Institute of Electrical Power Systems” is a stand alone organisational unit of the “Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. In collaboration with the Institute of Electrical Drives and Machines, the Institute of High Voltage Engineering and System Management and the Institute of Electricity Economics and Energy Innovation is the Institute of Electrical Power Systems a primary element of the House of Power Engineering. A big “Thank You” to every former and current colleague, graduand and fellow employee for their activities in research and teaching of the institute!